Gemini Man Hollywood Movie Review



Gemini man was directed by Angley and stars Will Smith mary Elizabeth winsteadClive Owen and Benedict Wong and is the story of an expert sharpshooter who's trying really hard to retire when he realizes an assassin has been sent after him and pretty soon he realizes this assassin is actually a younger version of himself with a star like Will Smith at least it's gonna be a really good production we know that much at least with Angley behind the camera thought hat's where things get interesting, he is such a fantastic director, he has made phenomenal movies Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is one of the most visually sumptuous films I've ever seen and even though a lot of people have had things to say about his 2003 Hulk movie there are aspects of even that film that are quite beautiful even though overall it's a mixed bag for me what I'm getting at is that when he makes a movie I get excited about it live of Pi was a visual breakthrough with that tiger and what they were able to do and once again he is applying new technology to this film and that WillSmith is playing a younger version of himself and I guess it's not new per sewe've seen things like this in Captain Marvel with Samuel l Jackson and Clark Gregg this is something that's becoming more popular now experimentation with de-aging Marvel's done a pretty good job with it chapter two I thought was awful but technology-wise that's not the only thing that Angley is doing here he also filmed this movie in 120 frames per second now a lot of reviews are probably going to talk about that because that's very uncommon most movies as you know are 24 frames per second I actually shoot my videos at 24 frames as well even though most people do thirty I prefer to look at movies and YouTube videos with that frame rate and so that's what I've always done but my review is not going to cover that frame rate because the screening here in Cleveland was not only 2d it was in 24frames per second and I'm glad because a lot of people have mentioned that it's very distracting and I was able to just purely think about the film the writing the acting the directing and not worry so much about the frame rate which to me would probably be really off-putting because

I didn't like it in The Hobbit, I've never loved that sort of hyper-stylized soap-opera the effect you call it sometimes motion smoothing on a TV which I turn off I hate and I don't want to watch a movie that even resembles that and since I didn't like it at 48 frames per second and The Hobbit, I can't even imagine what a hundred and twenty would look like so let's just talk about the movie how is Gemini man I think it's really awful maybe the worst script of the year for a mainstream big-budget movie yeah I mean I don't really want to beat around the bush on this one this script has been tossed around Hollywood for a long time it's been in development hell at one point in time, Mel Gibson was attached, Clint Eastwood a lot of A-listers have tried to make this movie for a long time and the technology was never up to par for what they wanted to do but now it is so the films getting made and it's credited by a lot of screenwriters more than likely because many rewrites have taken place I highly doubt that that first script is even a shell of what I saw in this movie Billy Ray has credit you may know him from shattered glass or breach he's a really terrific writer David Benioff also has a credit who most people know from Game of Thrones and nowadays most people know from the last season of Game of Thrones for various reasons and the other credit goes to Darren Lemke not sure how to pronounce that name but he has credit son Shazam goosebumps turbo Jack the giant slayer Shrek forever after amongst other things, if you look at what all of those writers primarily work on none of them work on similar projects they all work on different types of films Darren Lemke is more into animation and children's family entertainment whereas Billy Ray does a lot of political stuff intrigue espionage and David Benioff is Game of Thrones these are three writers that couldn't be more from separate sides of the spectrum maybe that could make for a really cool screenplay or it could make for the most atrocious and jumbled horribly written screenplay that I've heard and seen on a screen this year oftentimes exposition is something that is pinned as a problem with screenplays every screenplay needs some it's a necessity you have to have a little every here and there hi what's your name my name's

Chris what's her name my name's Ben cool now we know everyone's names stuff like that's in every movie but the shit in this movie is insulting there's an entire scene in which mary Elizabeth Winstead has to tell older Will Smith that younger Will Smith is definitely him and she repeats he is you know he is you know his DNA is a direct match with you you don't understand he is you like18 fucking times blew my mind in the trailer even you can see one of these scenes where young Will Smith is talking about how he's a clone let me get this straight I'm a clone right made from that other guy's body because he kind of looked like me just want to make sure I'm a clone and you made me right you made a person from another person and then you sent me to kill that person right I just want to make sure that I'm clear on this you've made a person out of another person then you sent me to killing it beyond the screenplay the film meanders for quite a bit in the early minutes the scenes leading up to him discovering his younger self is boring really boring because most actors in the movie doesn't even seem remotely invested and I don't understand how that's even possible I can't comment on the frame rate but I can comment on the de-aging technology there are scenes where it's jaw-droppingly perfect most of those scenes are in the dark there's some sequences like an underground sewer system and those look really good like you can see the pores and the sweat and it's just fantastic but there's a scene in broad daylight with young Will Smith that is laughable

 I mean it's shockingly obviously apparent that it's CGI and there isn't an ounce of me that believed it I don't understand how it was even approved to be in the final draft but all of this could at least be salvaged if the action was entertaining and visceral the action in the movie is time is passable there's a pretty great motorcycle chase that ends in absurdity but for like two minutes it was awesome but then young Will Smith starts boxing with his motorcycle on two older Will Smith you using his motorcycle like a fucking boxing glove sounds pretty cool I guess and now you want to see it probably but man was that funny in the theater but then in fight scenes or gun shootouts he for some reason keeps the camera really tight the whole time this was really strange to me again I must reference Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon that is as close to perfect as some movies can get that is such a phenomenal film and I have no idea how the same person directed this movie this feels like a committee a project that has been shoved through a shredder and then reassembled with tape but I'll tell you this movie is going to find an audience of people who like it and some people will probably think I'm being too harsh on the movie and that's okay but in my opinion this is sort of like the Transformers - a paradox was when I first saw that movie with a lot of my friends many of them thought it was fucking awesome and over the years they started to hate the movie a movie can be visually compelling filled with a-list stars and a great the production behind it everything looks fucking cool and it can make you not realize how truly shit the script is the badness of this movie is very well hidden in the incredible cast and directing talent I have no idea how this movie ever got to be this bad because it's been in development for so long and it had so much behind it but it's easily one of my least favorite films of the whole the year I'm gonna give Gemini man a d guys if you do end up seeing the film I'm curious to know what you thought of it thank you so much as always looking forward and if you like this you can comment write here and get stuck mine eyes

Post a Comment

0 Comments