Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Review



Welcome to Movies Web my review of the most controversial movie of 2019 that eventually became a 2020 movie due to its controversy that's Sonic the Hedgehog directed by first-timer Jeff Fowler starring Jim Carrey and James Marsden and Ben Schwartz as the voice of Sonic as you know Sonic the Hedgehog is a beloved Sega character he's basically Sega's Mario and in this film Sonic is residing in the small town of Green Hills where James Marsden is a police officer and when the government discovers Sonic they deployed dr.Robotnik played by Carrie to track him down I think everyone on this platform that talks about movies at some point has referenced how terrible the original character design as this is a rather unprecedented event so many people complained about how awful that character design was that they actually fixed it now usually I wouldn't really condone that type of thing I don't like the idea that we have that much power over artists but in this the small case I will say that we were right wow that was really bad but they fixed it sonic looks a lot better now but does character design make a movie absolutely not so how was this film first I should probably make it clear this character is important to me I do like these games a lot and I played them quite often when I was younger when my mom used to go toechmiadzin assist kiosk there and I would usually spend most of the time while she shopped for groceries playing NBA Jam and Sonic the Hedgehog those are fond memories but I've always been more of a Nintendo PlayStation guy but now that Nintendo does stuff with Sega I can still play Sonic the Hedgehog games on my switch whenever they release new ones so I had my fingers crossed that the film would at least present Sonic as the character in good light have it actually be like him in the movie and gratefully he is I don't see any Sonic fans leaving this movie disappointed with the portrayal of Sonic I think that Sonic in this movie is great the voice work for him is really good too and I liked his interplay with James Marsden, it was actually kind of sweet by no means is this a great movie but 

I think as a sonic movie it's about as good as I could expect it to be I feel kind of about this the same way I felt about the detective Pikachu movie I went into that film knowing pretty much what I was going to get and I got it and it was made well and they seemed to honor the character at least in that form of Pikachu and this film is exactly that it's pretty much what I expected there's not a lot of surprises but I had fun along the way if I were to really start over-analyzing this movie the way I look at other films that are made for adults, only I think that would be rather pointless this film is aimed at pleasing younger audiences while also making the family have a good time as well and it does that but the film doesn't pander to kids either it doesn't treat kids like they're stupid you can tell they actually cared especially since they spent all that money and time to redesign Sonic after they realized that fans didn't like it that shows you that there is a level of dedication to making sure that fans are pleased and Jeff Fowler the director is trying to make a competent film this by no means feels like a cash-grab movie it doesn't feel like they're taking Sonic and just cashing in on his popularity they did try to make an entertaining movie the kids and adults can enjoy now at the same the time I've not shied away from criticizing kids movies before I mean just last a year playing with fire was an absolute disaster although I loved watching it that film felt so corporate and so spat out of a machine it didn't feel like there was any energy or passion to it while this film is admittedly extremely cliche and has a lot of familiar tropes and as I said no surprises at all it does feel like they cared while making it feels like they were trying to make a film that people could genuinely have a love for and I could see a lot of young kids really enjoying this movie and having fond memories when they get older thinking about seeing it for the first time Jim Carrey I have to talk about that man I have loved him forever ever since good old Ace Ventura this feels like 90sJim Carrey he's having a blast in this movie as dr. Robotnik and if you look at his character and say wow he's really over the top a this is Jim Carrey what the hell did you expect be familiarize yourself with the source material dr.Robotnik is by no means a quiet person who sits in the corner there is there's no other way that this character should be portrayed 

I described Jim Kay portrayal of him to one of my friends who really love Batman forever by the way as a slightly more tame version of Jim Carrey's The Riddler and I mean that as a compliment it was really nice to see Jim Carrey just being manic and crazy in this film that was a really nice thing to see James Marsden is pretty good he plays his role just fine I actually had no problem with any of the human characters which are weird because usually when you have a film with a character like Sonic they have this thing Hollywood wants to always belike you have to have all these people and you're like well you could just have him like with Tails and Knuckles and just throw them into their kind of universe but they always want to put people and usually, I hate it The Smurfs films for example but that didn't bother me in this movie and I think it's because Jim Carrey maintains that insanity throughout his entire performance and so he never was that annoying villain they cut back to he was enjoyable to watch and the movie is fairly sonic centered and so it didn't really feel like the humans were overshadowing him in some way let's talk about some negatives though because there are certainly, some for one if you don't care about Sonic if you've never played any of the Sonic games if you have no connection to this character emotionally whatsoever you're probably not going to like this movie as much as if you were a fan but I think that's pretty self-explanatory so naturally, I'm probably going to like this movie more than you if you don't give a shit about Sonic in that case you probably wouldn't really see the movie anyway so I don't really think that necessarily applies as I said the movie has a lot of clichés and tropes there are storylines that are forgotten entirely for one JamesMarsden's character is suddenly viewed as a domestic terrorist when he goes on the lam with Sonic this is on the news it's like a big thing and yet he's able to go into buildings and walk around in public and nobody sees him nobody's after him except for dr. Robotnik who seems to have complete control to do whatever he wants permission from the government to blow up highways and it's kind of hilarious if you really start to think about what's happening the resolution for the domestic terrorism thing you know without getting into spoilers is laughable they literally treat it kind of like a joke and it just feels like hey forget about that thing 

I know we said he was a domestic terrorist I know his face is on the news and people are like after him and stuff but like it didn't happen it's fine and you have to wonder like how did that get resolved because what you see happens towards the end doesn't seem to really resolve anything for that subplot, it's just kind of thrown away it was like used to build tension throughout the movie but then they don't use it throughout two movie except for one scene where he sees his face on the news I also want to talk about product placement, this movie has some very obscene uses of it one a character who is looking for a new place to live says I found these Apartments on Zillow and then you get a close-up of the Zillow website with apartments it felt like a commercial but  I think the big one that will be on most people's minds are Olive Garden you know when I think is Sonic the Hedgehog I just want some Italian pasta that's always what's on my mind I actually wrote this down so I wouldn't forget there's a scene where James Marsden has his phones I was perfect he has his phone he's like I don't have that many apps on my phone except for Olive Garden cuz you know when you're there you're family, oh but that's not the end of Olive Garden there's even a scene where a military man says have you tried their never-ending pasta bowl it ends not since Michael Bay Transformers the movie have I seen such obvious product placement in a movie but you know it came and went and I forgot about it and no one's really gonna care it's just funny that that they went to all that trouble to have Olive Garden as a sponsor I wonder if I can go get some pasta right now and tell him I saw Sonic and get like 20% off my meal do have my ticket stub I wonder if that's real look it's really easy to poke a hole in this movie if you really wanted to and there's certainly, things, as I've just mentioned that you know kind of, made me roll my eyes but I think the movie did its job it's going to please Sonic fans it's certainly better than most video game movies without a doubt this movie actually made me think about video game movies I'd love to see one of the biggest ones are Metal Gear Solid I know that's in development right now but Metal Gear Solid has a lot of potential as a movie but the one that I am still to this day hocked hasn't happened is Metroid Metroid movie would be so so fucking awesome if they get it right they got it wrong I'd riot but 

I would love to see a good Metroid movie and this is a good step in the right direction I'm gonna give Sonic the Hedgehog a beat I was actually surprised by the fact that this movie wasn't too bad at all it's perfectly fine families are gonna love it it's a decent family movie it's gone tissues script-wise and stuff but you know there's this weird paradox now where there are these 30-somethings who are seeing these movies who are excited to see them who have to kind of sit back and remember you know like yeah this is made for us sort of but it's also made for today's kids and did the ydo an okay job you know what they kind of fucking did okay you have to like accept that and move on and move on to Olive Garden guys thank you so much as always for look forward to more reviews very soon if you like this you can comments write here and get stuck mine eyes

Post a Comment

0 Comments